Main Article Content
The purpose of this study is to show how the admission criteria can predict first-year college students’ performance. The study uses the data of the students’ high school GPA (HSGPA) and the scores of the Prerequirement standardized tests in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia(achievement test score (ACT) and aptitude score (APT)), and the data of the first-year college GPA for correlations analysis and inferential statistics. As far as we are aware, no study has been conducted or has been made publicly accessible regarding the validity of admission criteria of the medical colleges at the University of Hafr Batin. The Bayesian Information Criterion and the Akaike Information Criterion are applied as model selection criteria in order to select the best model. Actual data is used to establish the legitimacy of the admission criteria.
- J.L. Kobrin, B.F. Patterson, E.J. Shaw, et al. Validity of the Sat® for Predicting First-Year College Grade Point Average, Research Report no. 2008-5., College Board (2008).
- D. Lawley, IV.—A Note on Karl Pearson’s Selection Formulæ, Proc. R. Soc. Edinburgh Sect. A: Math. 62 (1944), 28–30. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0080454100006385.
- L.L. Baird, Predicting Predictability: The Influence of Student and Institutional Characteristics on the Prediction of Grades, ETS Res. Rep. Ser. 1983 (1983), i–11. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2330-8516.1983.tb00030.x.
- R. Zwick, T. Brown, J.C. Sklar, California and the Sat: A Reanalysis of University of California Admissions Data, Research & Occasional Paper Series: CSHE.8.04. University of California, Berkeley, (2004).
- J. Baron, M.F. Norman, Sats, Achievement Tests, and High-School Class Rank as Predictors of College Performance, Educ. Psychol. Measure. 52 (1992), 1047–1055. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164492052004029.
- J.R. Betts, D. Morell, The Determinants of Undergraduate Grade Point Average: The Relative Importance of Family Background, High School Resources, and Peer Group Effects, J. Human Resources. 34 (1999), 268-293. https://doi.org/10.2307/146346.
- E. Cohn, S. Cohn, D.C. Balch, et al. Determinants of Undergraduate Gpas: Sat Scores, High-School Gpa and HighSchool Rank, Econ. Educ. Rev. 23 (2004), 577–586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econedurev.2004.01.001.
- National Center for Assessment in Higher Education, https://etec.gov.sa/en/Pages/default.aspx.