Main Article Content
The problem of intersecting two parametric surfaces has been one of the main technical challenges in computer-aided design, computer graphics, solid modeling, and geometrics. This paper aims at reducing and minimizing time and space required for the computations process of parametric surface intersection. To do this, a new numerically accelerating method based on continuation technique was utilized first by calculating a starting point, and second by tracing sequential points along the intersection curve following Broyden's method. Two factors have been identified as influential in controlling component jumping: initial points and step size. Test examples of intersecting two parametric surfaces demonstrated that this method was highly efficient with high-speed parametric solution. The intersection results are often given as curve's points.
- J. Hoschek, D. Lasser, Fundamentals of computer aided geometric design, AK Peters, Ltd., Wellesley, MA, 1993.
- N. M. Patrikalakis, Surface-to-surface intersections, IEEE Computer Graph. Appl. 13 (1) (1993), 89-95.
- R. E. Barnhill, Geometry processing for design and manufacturing, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1992.
- N. M. Patrikalakis, T. Maekawa, Shape interrogation for computer aided design and manufacturing, Vol. 15, Springer, 2002.
- N. M. Patrikalakis, T. Maekawa, Intersection problems, in: Shape Interrogation for Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing, Springer, 2010, pp. 109-160.
- J.-K. Seong, K.-J. Kim, M.-S. Kim, G. Elber, R. R. Martin, Intersecting a freeform surface with a general swept surface, Computer-Aided Design, 37 (5) (2005), 473-483.
- X.-M. Liu, C.-Y. Liu, J.-H. Yong, J.-C. Paul, Torus/torus intersection, Computer-Aided Design Appl. 8 (3) (2011), 465-477.
- K.-J. Kim, Circles in torus-torus intersections, J. Comput. Appl. Math. 236 (9) (2012), 2387-2397.
- Y. Park, S.-H. Son, M.-S. Kim, G. Elber, Surface-surface-intersection computation using a bounding volume hierarchy with osculating toroidal patches in the leaf nodes, Computer-Aided Design, 127 (2020), 102866.
- T. Nishita, T. W. Sederberg, M. Kakimoto, Ray tracing trimmed rational surface patches, in: Proceedings of the 17th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques, 1990, pp. 337-345.
- S. Campagna, P. Slusallek, H. P. Seidel, Ray tracing of parametric surfaces: Bezier clipping, chebyshev boxing and bounding volume hierarchy. a critical comparison with new results, Computer Graphics Group, University of Erlangen, Germany (1997).
- S.-W. Wang, Z.-C. Shih, R.-C. Chang, et al., An efficient and stable ray tracing algorithm for parametric surfaces, J. Inform. Sci. Eng. 18 (4) (2002), 541-561.
- S. Chau, M. Oberneder, A. Galligo, B. J ¨uttler, Intersecting biquadratic b ´ezier surface patches, in: Geometric Modeling and Algebraic Geometry, Springer, 2008, pp. 161-180.
- B. Bily, The method of finding points of intersection of two cubic bezier curves using the sylvester matrix, Silesian J. Pure Appl. Math. 6 (2016), 155-176.
- R. A. M. Alsaidi, A. Musleh, Two methods for surface/surface intersection problem comparative study, Int. J. Computer Appl. 92 (2014), 1-8.
- R. Burden, J. Faires, A. Burden, Numerical solutions of nonlinear systems of equations, In: Numerical analysis. Cengage Learning, Boston, (1997) pp 544-576.
- W. C. Rheinboldt, Numerical analysis of parametrized nonlinear equations, Wiley-Interscience, 1986.
- H. B. Keller, Lectures on Numerical Methods in Bifurcation Problems, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, 1987.
- K. Abdel-Malek, H.-J. Yeh, Determining intersection curves between surfaces of two solids, Computer-Aided Design 28 (6-7) (1996), 539-549.
- T. Dokken, Aspects of intersection algorithms and approximation, PhD Thesis, University of Oslo, (1997).