Main Article Content
We obtain symmetries of a family of difference equations and we prove a relationship between these symmetries and similarity variables. We proceed with reduction and eventually derive formula solutions of the difference equations. Furthermore, we discuss the periodic nature of the solutions and analyze the stability of the fixed points. We use Lie point symmetry analysis as our tool in obtaining the solutions. Though we have analyzed a specific family of difference equations in this paper, the algorithmic techniques presented can be utilized to tackle many other difference equations.
- M. Aloqeili, Dynamics of a rational difference equation, Appl. Math. Comput. 176 (2006), 768–774. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.10.024.
- E.M. Elabbasy, H. El-Metwally, E.M. Elsayed, On the difference equation xn+1 = αxn−k /(β + γ πi=0k xn−i, J. Concr. Appl. Math. 5 (2007), 101–113.
- M. Folly-Gbetoula, D. Nyirenda, On some sixth-order rational recursive sequences, J. Comput. Anal. Appl. 27 (2019), 1057–1069.
- M. Folly-Gbetoula, D. Nyirenda, A generalized two-dimensional system of higher order recursive sequences, J. Differ. Equ. Appl. 26 (2020), 244–260. https://doi.org/10.1080/10236198.2020.1718667.
- E.A. Grove, G.E. Ladas, Periodicities in nonlinear difference equations, Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, 2005.
- P.E. Hydon, Difference equations by differential equation methods, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2014.
- T.F. Ibrahim, On the third order rational difference equation xn+1 = xnxn−2/xn−1(a + bxnxn−2), Int. J. Contemp. Math. Sci. 4 (2009), 1321–1334.
- R. Karatas, Global behavior of a higher order difference equation, Comput. Math. Appl. 60 (2010), 830–839. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2010.05.030.
- S. Maeda, The similarity method for difference equations, IMA J. Appl. Math. 38 (1987), 129–134. https://doi.org/10.1093/imamat/38.2.129.
- K. Mkhwanazi, M. Folly-Gbetoula, Symmetries and solvability of a class of higher order systems of ordinary difference equations, Symmetry. 14 (2022), 108. https://doi.org/10.3390/sym14010108.
- N. Mnguni, D. Nyirenda, M. Folly-Gbetoula, Symmetry Lie algebra and exact solutions of some fourth-order difference equation, J. Nonlinear Sci. Appl. 11 (2018), 1262–1270.
- I. Yalcinkaya, On the global attractivity of positive solutions of a rational difference equation, Selcuk J. Appl. Math. 9 (2008), 3–8.